Thursday, April 9, 2009

Back to the Basics

Back to the Basics

I don’t know how to start this off
Every time I think my mind goes soft
Like Jello in a mold it takes perfect shape
Then I go to taste it and it all goes to waste
But jello without a mold it’s all out of place
This is how I feel now when pen gets put to page

Every minute of every hour of every single day
Is spent wondering why everything happened that way
What’s right, what’s wrong, what’s meant to be different
What’s mine, what’s gone, is this how things should be
With so much on my mind, you would think my words would pay
Yet when it’s time to cash it in I’m left with nothing else to say.

It’s not that I’m just not emotional
I speak so much I’m practically promotional
It’s just so much harder to get things into verse
Seems all I do lately is waste it all in curse
The harder I try the harder it is for my mind to formulate
The feelings that I’m feeling, it’s rather quite unfortunate
I rhyme just fine, so now it’s time to shine
But the words I am seeking I just can’t seem to find

What ever happened to those days of the past
When I would take the time to write every day in class
So much to say and an ability to say it
On this lyrical road, I was laying down the pavement
My life’s changed so much in the last few years
With every emotion from laughter to the tears
Friends come, friends gone, friend’s staying in their places
Fist fights, love songs, I’ve shown so many faces
With all this to show yet my words turn to vapour
Every time I try to put this pen to this paper.

I just want to create something of some substance
Instead of wasting time making absently no sense
Bitching about nothing for thirty something lines
Inventing words just make things rhyme.
What happened to the words that I once could say
Closed my eyes and let the pen find its way
Open them next to see the words a poet wrote
Read through it once and make a couple notes
Close my eyes again and write it one last time
When ink touched that paper it was perfect every time.

No comments: