Thursday, August 27, 2009

You Can't Judge a Book By its Cover

What ever happened to common courtesy? When someone says something nice, you thank him or her. If someone looks like they need help, you lend a helping hand. When someone opens a door for you, you accept the courteous gesture and if you’re feeling extra kind, you can even thank the person for doing something as simple as holding a door open.

Well it seems the world is going to hell in a hand basket, and you know who’s leading the way, OLD PEOPLE! That’s right, it appears that it’s no longer Generation Y’s that have forgotten the meaning of good manner, but rather those who practically invented it; the elderly. I was at a gas station this afternoon filling up my tank and simultaneously getting myself a beverage to compliment the left over pizza I had waiting for me at work. On my way out I saw an elderly gentleman making his way towards the double doors; I assume to pay for his gasoline purchase. As I was on my way out, and had to open the door for myself, I kindly pushed the door open and stepped aside, still holding the door, to allow this gentleman to freely pass without hassle of opening the door himself. Standing there, still holding the door, I watched as the man ignores my gesture of good faith and proceeds to open the door directly adjacent to that which is already open. I am now standing there in awe, door still in hand, at what just happened. Who does that?! I mean, I would think that it would almost be a natural instinct to pass through an open door, let alone a sign of respect, grace, and civility. I have seen, more times that I can count, people allowing doors to close behind them with no regard of those who follow; but I must say, I think this is the first time I’ve ever seen anyone purposely pass up what most consider to be a fleeting sign of good favour. Some people!

Well next time I see him, I’m going to run him down in my car. Of course I’m kidding, that would be cruel; instead I’ll just play loud music, use plenty of curse words, and remind him that things no longer cost what they used to!

No comments: