Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Even the Kitchen Sink

The day was typical, at least so it would seem. The sky was overcast, the breeze cold, the temperatures frigid; it was seemingly a typical winter day. The coffee shop was full, as it always is at this time of the day. Waiting in line to order my lunch, I weighed the options in my head; black forest ham, or BLT? My phone rings; it was no longer a typical day… at least not for me; for the unluckiest person in town, however, this was a typical day.

I arrived at the client to see my unfortunate friend. A nurse showed me to the correct room where I found my fateful comrade receiving stitches above the left eye. Looking at the equipment on the sterilization tray, I could see that the doctor had been sewing for quite some time.

“How bad is it this time doc?” I asked.
“Well we got lucky today. Eleven stitches above the eye, three more on the left cheek, nineteen on the right hand; thirty-three in all.”
I pushed the air out of my lungs and wiped my brow.
“Could be worse.” I threw in.
“It has been worse.”

And the doctor was right, it had been worse… much worse. Despite the barrage of stitches, this was only a minor scratch in ever growing medical records of the unluckiest person in town.

I took a deep breath and braced myself, “What happened this time?”
“Kitchen sink exploded” The doctor replied
A stupid grim swept over the face of clumsy counter-part.
“What?”
“You heard me correctly; a sink exploded. The gash above the eye is from a piece of the faucet, the cheek was a shard of glass from a tea cup, and the hand… well thankfully it was used to block the dinner plate.”

The smile grew yet somehow stupider.
“Well, thankfully everyone is okay… well reasonably”
“Two to three weeks, your friend will be back to normal”
“Thanks doc, see you soon”
“Hopefully not”


I walked out of the client and started me car. With the engine lightly humming, I drifted away into thought, wondering how one person could be so unfortunate. I suppose one can be thankful, better that it wasn’t me. The passenger door flung open as my comrade hopped into the vehicle.
“Come on you goof, lets get you home.”

2 comments:

Angie said...

Is this a true story??

JRL said...

It's a true fish story.